Allary has had a little bit of an upset stomach all week. Yesterday, she threw up and refused to eat anything or drink much at all. She was still in a good mood and acting pretty much normal. She woke up in the middle of the night and I brought her into bed with Jason and me. Jason left early for work and Allary stirred every now and then, but slept in until almost 10:00 am. I knew that was abnormal but just figured she could use the extra rest and her body must be fighting off an infection. So I took her downstairs and set her down while I went to get her some breakfast. She just sat down on the floor and stared off into space. I got no response from her when I spoke to her or tried to give her a bottle, so I picked her up and she went right back to sleep on my shoulder. I put her back in her crib and she slept for another hour. I started to get really worried and was checking on her every few minutes. She woke up, didn't cry, and when I went in to get her she just laid back down, eyes half-mast, completely still. I started calling around (home, Trish, nurses) to find out how concerned I should be. Allary just wasn't moving or really responding to anything. I even changed her diaper and took her temperature and she just went back to sleep right there on the changing table. I couldn't get her to stay awake no matter what I did. So, after stressing about it, I decided to take her to InstaCare, but Trisha called me on the way there and said that Mark's sister told her it could be something very serious and to get her to the ER as soon as possible. So, I put the pedal to the metal and sped to the hospital. I spent the remainder of the day at the ER. Allary was severely dehydrated and they put her on an IV. I thought this would be absolutely unbearable, but Allary actually had little to no reaction to the nurses' 3 attempts to find a suitable vein. (just shows how lathargic she really was.) The IV came out of the vein after only a few minutes, but Allary had already begun to perk up and become more fussy and aware. They were thinking about just letting us go. But, within just another minute or two, Allary was just limp again. So, they started the whole process all over again. Ugh. Luckily, she stayed asleep and so the IV stayed in and they were able to get it all in her. They let us bring her home this evening. She still has the IV needle in and her arm all wrapped up. We have to bring her back in first thing in the morning for another evaluation and possibly more liquid. So, it has been a long, stressful, exhausting day, but it could have been much worse. Allary fell asleep in the car on the way home, woke up for about an hour, then konked out again. I never knew I could be so worried about something or someone. I am afraid to leave her side.
Here she is just home from the ER.

They took really good care of her. They called down a Pediatric nurse who brought some "distraction toys" and they let her take the dog home.
5 comments:
My gosh Brooke. I am glad she is okay. That is scary... I hope she is feeling better. Good for you for taking such good care of her. I don't have any idea what I would have done. Give her a squeeze from me and Noah. Love you. Katie
Oh, Brooke~ I hope everything is okay with Allary! Let us know! I am glad she is doing better! Love ya!
We got home from the hospital late this afternoon. Allary spent the majority of the day in the ER again on an IV. She seems to be improving, but they still left the IV in and Allary's arm all wrapped up. I am taking Allary in to her pediatrician tomorrow to follow-up and hopefully he will say she is doing okay and take out the IV. Otherwise, it's back to the hospital for us for more fluids. We are really having a hard time getting her to drink anything. The only way I got anything down her tonight was with a syringe. I am exhausted. I really hope Allary sleeps okay tonight so that I can get some rest. She slept pretty good last night, but I was so worried that I hardly slept a wink.
How scary! Haveing to take your baby to the ER is like a nightmare! I'm so glad she's okay-and I hope you didn't just have to spend your THIRD day at the hospital! Keep us updated and give her a hug for me.
How scary! Haveing to take your baby to the ER is like a nightmare! I'm so glad she's okay-and I hope you didn't just have to spend your THIRD day at the hospital! Keep us updated and give her a hug for me.
Post a Comment